Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What Is That Thing?

We don't claim to be the best gardeners on the block but this year my husband decided to expand the garden so we could plant more variety.  The soil had been dormant for many years and although compost and peat moss were worked into the soil before planting, the soil needs more work.  This is one of the successful items from his efforts.  When I picked it, I thought it was a squash and in my defense it was planted with other squash.  But as soon as I cut it open I knew it was some sort of melon.  Know what it is?  Hint: it smells and tastes a bit like cucumber.  Got it?  I had to research but it is a crenshaw melon.  I think it needed to ripen a bit more but it is edible and unique.  Maybe I'll know a crenshaw melon next time I see one and maybe next year we'll have a more plentiful harvest-maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment